Why study this Greenhouse Management course?
If you have a passion for plants and want your garden to thrive all year long, Careerline’s online Greenhouse Management course is designed for you.
The skills you learn in this course will help you become a more knowledgeable hobbyist, and you will be well-informed when setting up and maintaining your greenhouse.
What will you learn?
This online Greenhouse Management course will teach you how to successfully start and maintain your own greenhouse for either commercial or hobby purposes. You will learn about the various types of greenhouses and their unique purposes. In addition, you will become familiar with greenhouse growing systems and equipment that you will need to maintain your greenhouse successfully.
Further, students learn how to manage pests, diseases, temperature, water, light, gases, and plant nutrition in greenhouses. Finally, you will study the newest advances in greenhouse management technology, including automation and robotics.
Who is this online Greenhouse Management course for?
No prior knowledge or experience is required to undertake this course. However, an interest in gardening or horticulture is essential. The Greenhouse Management course will prepare you for a career or a hobby in horticulture, agriculture, or plant management. You will be provided with the tools you need for success in your chosen horticultural field, as well as the specialist knowledge required for career advancement.
This course is also designed as a starting point for students hoping to undertake further study in horticulture or agriculture. You will be introduced to concepts and terms covered in tertiary and vocational courses, so you will feel prepared and confident as you continue your learning journey.
What are the aims of this Greenhouse Management Course?
- Compare different types of greenhouses to better match the plants to be grown inside the greenhouse to be built.
- Explain the equipment and measuring devices (manual and automated) used inside a greenhouse to help grow plants more effectively.
- Explain options for reducing the impact of pests and diseases on plants grown inside greenhouses.
- Detect and control the temperature within an optimal growing range for plants being grown in a greenhouse.
- Control water in a greenhouse, including irrigation and humidity.
- Control nutrient levels in a greenhouse at optimal levels for plant growth and health.
- Explain how light levels can be maintained in a greenhouse for optimal plant production.
- Explain how to best manage the air characteristics inside a greenhouse.
- Explain how greenhouse production can be automated.
Get Free Info Pack
Complete the form below and we'll send you a free info pack.
Detailed Course Outline
This course is made up of a number of lessons or units. Each of these has self assessment questions, a set task (practical homework) and an assignment which you can upload online. Click below to read about each of the lessons and what you will learn.
There are 9 lessons in this course:
Types of Greenhouses
- Greenhouse Designs for Commercial Nursery Production
- Greenhouse Construction Methods and Materials
- What Type of Greenhouse is Appropriate for Your Nursery?
- Siting Greenhouses
- Greenhouse Benching
- What Can You Grow?
- Environmental Control in Greenhouses
- Computerized Environmental Control
Growing Systems and Equipment
- How to Grow Plants
- Measuring Conditions Inside a Greenhouse
- Environmental Control Systems
- Getting Plants to Flower Out of Season
Pest and Disease Management in Greenhouses
- How to Stop Pests and Diseases Entering the Greenhouse
- Detecting and Controlling Pests and Diseases in the Greenhouse
- Common Greenhouse Diseases
- Disease Control
- Temperature Control in a Greenhouse
- Heating Systems
- Ventilation Systems
- Greenhouse Irrigation
- Soil and Water
- When to Irrigate
- The Nursery Irrigation Program
- Plants and Water
- Equipment and Methods
- Maintenance of Watering Systems
- Irrigation and Nutrition Control
- Liquid Feed Systems
- Importance of Lighting in a Greenhouse
- Artificial Lighting
- Measuring Light
- Controlling Light in the Greenhouse
- Photoperiod Manipulation
- Growth Rooms
- Efficient Lighting Control
- Carbon Dioxide Enrichment
- Pollutant Gases
- Temperature Control Systems (Ventilation)
Automation and Robotic Applications for Greenhouse Production
- Automation in Vegetable Nurseries
When you have completed the lessons of your Certificate course, you will be given the option of taking the optional exam. It's okay if you don't want the exam, we still issue your Careerline Certificate. For Advanced Certificates however, the exam is compulsory (per module) and are included in the course fee.
Barbara Tremain BSc. (Hons) Horticulture, RHS Adv. Cert,. RHS General, City & Guilds Garden Design, Permaculture Level 3 (UK)
Barbara brings to Careerline a wide range of horticultural experience and knowledge Barbara has a keen interest in herbalism, edible wild plants and has lead into studies of many plant based complementary medicinal systems, qualification as a Bach Flower remedy practitioner and studying Ethnobotany. Barbara has practiced and studied horticulture as well as combining it with her love of travel in many countries including the UK, US and Australia and has also studied Permaculture and runs her own horticulture business. Within the past two years she have also worked for Groundwork SW with 18-24 year old unemployed people, this work and the mentoring scheme has allowed me to teach informally. It has been a delight to nurture the interests of keen learners in horticulture and garden design. Meanwhile the business has covered a variety of Garden Design projects, from wildflower gardens to seaside situations, and has included some work with Chelsea Gold multi-winner John Moreland.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I pay in installments?
Yes! We offer great payment plans, however full payment up front is the cheapest. You can choose the best payment plan for you from the course page, or call us on 07 55368782 to talk to one of our course consultants for a custom plan.
Can I study from anywhere in the world?
We have many international students. Careerline's range of courses are suitable for any one, anywhere in the world.
Do I get a discount if I enroll in a second course?
Yes. You may claim a 5% fee discount when you enroll in a second course, and a further 10% off a three-course package.
Do I have to sit an Exam?
No. If you are enrolled in a Certificate course (100hrs), the exam is optional. You will be issued with a certificate which proves that you are competent in all units, if you choose not to sit the exam.
Do you have set start dates?
There are no set start dates, you may start at any time. Our courses are all self-paced. As our home page says, ‘Courses for Anyone, Anywhere, Anytime’. ‘Anytime’ includes the start time of your choice. However, we do encourage our students to submit assignments on a regular basis. Wherever possible, we suggest developing a study routine.