This course aims to provide students with the skills and knowledge necessary to be able to undertake a variety of environmental assessments. Topics covered include environmental law, employment within the assessment industry, what is an environmental assessment, different types of assessment, how to carry out an environmental assessment, writing research reports and a final project.
This course is suitable for:
- For graduates from related certificates, diplomas or degrees (eg. Biology, Horticulture, Agriculture), this course may offer the potential to greatly improve your employability.
- OH & S Managers who deal with environmental impacts and assessment
- Anyone needing environmental assessment skills
- Environmental activists and more
You will learn about evolving legislation on local, state, national and international levels, as well as assessments for industry bodies and special projects. Develop the skills in how to conduct assessments and how to put together reports.
- To appreciate the range of employment available to scientists skilled in environmental assessment
- Develop an understanding of the basics of environmental study design, analysis and reporting within a legal framework.
- Be aware of the international legislation relevant to environmental assessment
- Research the legislation which dictates the environmental assessment requirements in the student’s home country.
- Appreciate the range of environmental assessment techniques that have been developed to assess a range of situations around the globe.
- Understand the environmental assessment process in enough depth to manage a small environmental assessment.
- Write a professional environmental report.
- Prepare an environmental impact assessment including carrying out all research and writing up the actual report.
Get Free Info Pack
Complete the form below and we'll send you a free info pack.
Detailed Course Outline
Each course is made up a number of lessons or units. Each of these has self assessment questions, a set task (practical homework) and an assignment which you can upload online. Click below to read about each of the lessons and what you will learn.
There are 8 Lessons in this course:
Introduction to Environmental Assessment
- Types of Employment for Environmental Scientists
- Pre Purchase Inspections
- Background Data
- Flora and Fauna Surveys
- Open Space Management Plans,
- Detection of Pollutants
- Use of Plants
- Remediation of Polluted Sites
- Employment in a Multi-Disciplinary Team
Overview of Environmental Assessment
- What is Environmental Assessment?
- Definitions of Environmental Assessment
- Overview of the Environmental Assessment Process.
International Environmental Law
- Foundations of Environmental Law
- Making International Laws (Treaties and Customary Law)
- Milestones in International Environmental Law
- Principles of International Environmental Law
- Institutions that influence Environmental Law
- Environmental Impact Assessment and Environmental Law.
Domestic Environmental Law
- Evolving Domestic Environmental Law
- Strategies for Domestic Environmental Policy
- Establishment of Environmental Standards
- Environmental Impact Assessment
- Prior Authorisation and Enforcement.
Types of Environmental Assessments
- Environmental Impact Assessment
- Environmental Impact Statement
- Environmental Risk Assessment
- Ecological Risk Assessment
- Strategic Environment Assessment
- Environmental Audit
- Regional Risk Screening
- Ecological Impact Assessment
- Social Impact Assessments and Statements
- Economic and Fiscal Impact Assessment
- Health Impact Assessment.
The Design and Process of Environmental Assessment
- Steps in the Environmental Assessment Process
- Impact Prediction and Evaluation
- Impact Identification Methods
- Impact Assessment Techniques
- Data Collection
- Statistical Analysis of Data and Statistical Tests.
Writing Environmental Reports
- Environmental Statements
- Report Structure
- Suggested Layouts for Environmental Statements
- Report Presentation
- Examples of Environmental Impact Statements.
- The research project is the student’s opportunity to test out their skills as an environmental consultant.
- In this project, the student will go through the steps involved in carrying out an environmental assessment and write it up as a professional report.
When you have completed the lessons of your Certificate course, you will be given the option of taking the optional exam. It's okay if you don't want the exam, we still issue your Careerline Certificate. For Advanced Certificates however, the exam is compulsory (per module) and are included in the course fee.
Bachelor of Science (Zoology) (Hons), M.Phil. PhD (UTS) current.
I am currently doing my PhD in Environmental Science at the University of Technology Sydney. My research is centered around the effects of climate change on the hatchling velvet gecko population in Australia. This involves collecting wild gravid geckos and incubating their eggs under laboratory conditions. Through exposure to a variety of incubation temperature treatments, I have operationalized my investigation which aims to determine the effect of higher temperatures on hatchling geckos. I am currently in stage 3 of research, which comprises writing a thesis and developing manuscripts for publishing. Prior to my present endeavors within the scientific field, I have also successfully completed a B.Sc. degree, majoring in Zoology, (specialised field: Wildlife Management) with first-class honors and an M.Phil. Degree in Life Sciences. My passion has always been teaching and thus I have worked for seven years as a lecturer at various universities. I love helping students with their own studies.
How It Works
1. Learn Online
Get access to your course content anywhere, anytime and study at your own pace.
2. Get Help & Support
Connect with other like-minded students and get help from the teacher whenever you have a question.
3. Receive Certificate
Graduate from your course knowing that you have what it takes to reach your next step.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I pay in installments?
Yes! We offer great payment plans, however full payment up front is the cheapest. You can choose the best payment plan for you from the course page, or call us on 07 55368782 to talk to one of our course consultants for a custom plan.
Can I study from anywhere in the world?
We have many international students. Careerline's range of courses are suitable for any one, anywhere in the world.
Do I get a discount if I enroll in a second course?
Yes. You may claim a 5% fee discount when you enroll in a second course, and a further 10% off a three-course package.
Do I have to sit an Exam?
No. If you are enrolled in a Certificate course (100hrs), the exam is optional. You will be issued with a certificate which proves that you are competent in all units, if you choose not to sit the exam.
Do you have set start dates?
There are no set start dates, you may start at any time. Our courses are all self-paced. As our home page says, ‘Courses for Anyone, Anywhere, Anytime’. ‘Anytime’ includes the start time of your choice. However, we do encourage our students to submit assignments on a regular basis. Wherever possible, we suggest developing a study routine.