Develop your ability to effectively counsel and assist clients in times of crisis. This course provides those already in the counselling or helping industries with knowledge and skills to give specialised counselling, and will contribute to comprehensive counselling training for those wishing to work in this field.
- Identify what constitutes a crisis and to discuss methods of crisis intervention
- Discuss current ethical, professional and legal implications of crisis intervention.
- Explain the dangers posed by crises to the individual, the counsellor and those around them during crisis intervention, and to determine effective modes of intervention.
- Identify and explain crises evolving from a developmental perspective.
- Explain the symptoms, treatment options and possible outcomes of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.
- Describe the effect of violence and sexual assault on the individual and possible modes of intervention.
- Explain the relationship between crises and drug dependence.
- Discuss the major issues that arise in family crises and appropriate methods of intervention.
- Discuss cultural influences on crisis situations.
Detailed Course Outline
This course is made up of a number of lessons or units. Each of these has self assessment questions, a set task (practical homework) and an assignment which you can upload online.
There are 9 lessons in this course:
Understanding methods of crisis intervention
- What constitutes a crisis and methods of crisis intervention?
Ethical, professional and legal issues
- Current ethical, professional and legal implications of crisis intervention.
Dangers of crises and effective intervention
- Dangers posed by crisis to the individual, the counsellor, and those around them
- Determining effective modes of intervention.
- Recognising and comprehending crises from a developmental perspective.
Post-traumatic stress disorder
- Treatment options
- Possible outcomes of post-traumatic stress disorder
Violence and sexual assault
- Effects of violence and sexual assault on the individual
- Possible modes of intervention.
Crisis and drug addiction
- Determining the relationship between crises and drug dependence.
- Major issues raises in family crises and appropriate methods of intervention.
Crises and cultural issues
- Cultural influences on crisis situations
When you have completed the lessons of your Certificate course, you will be given the option of taking the optional exam. It's okay if you don't want the exam, we still issue your Careerline Certificate. For Advanced Certificates however, the exam is compulsory (per module) and are included in the course fee.
Get Free Info Pack
Get your free info pack by completing the form below.
Dr Nicholas Harris B. Psychology (Hons I), PhD
Nicholas is a social psychologist; he studies and teaches on topics involving group-level and individual-level behavior, as well as examining the effect of the situation. Nicholas has been involved in writing textbooks and research papers in psychology. Nicholas’ teaching experience is vast; he has taught social psychology, indigenous and intercultural psychology, statistics, research methods, psychological measurement and assessment, personality, organizational psychology, counselling skills, and ethics. Nicholas has also completed a number of short courses on counselling and suicide prevention, and has volunteered for a number of years with Lifeline. Nicholas has supervised a number of honours and master’s research theses.
How It Works
1. Learn Online
Get access to your course content anywhere, anytime and study at your own pace.
2. Get Help & Support
Connect with other like-minded students and get help from the teacher whenever you have a question.
3. Receive Certificate
Graduate from your course knowing that you have what it takes to reach your next step.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I pay in installments?
Yes! We offer great payment plans, however full payment up front is the cheapest. You can choose the best payment plan for you from the course page, or call us on 07 55368782 to talk to one of our course consultants for a custom plan.
Can I study from anywhere in the world?
We have many international students. Careerline's range of courses are suitable for any one, anywhere in the world.
Do I get a discount if I enroll in a second course?
Yes. You may claim a 5% fee discount when you enroll in a second course, and a further 10% off a three-course package.
Do I have to sit an Exam?
No. If you are enrolled in a Certificate course (100hrs), the exam is optional. You will be issued with a certificate which proves that you are competent in all units, if you choose not to sit the exam.
Do you have set start dates?
There are no set start dates, you may start at any time. Our courses are all self-paced. As our home page says, ‘Courses for Anyone, Anywhere, Anytime’. ‘Anytime’ includes the start time of your choice. However, we do encourage our students to submit assignments on a regular basis. Wherever possible, we suggest developing a study routine.