Berries can form a viable alternative or supplementary crop with varieties suitable for many different climates and conditions. This course will provide you the knowledge to make informed decisions and sound management skills for a range of berry crops.
This course is ideal for both the berry enthusiast and commercial grower, covering all aspects of the propagation, care and cultivation of common, and uncommon berry fruit; with the opportunity to specialise in one type of berry crop.
- Differentiate between different types of berry fruit cultivars
- Determine varieties of berry fruit suitable for growing in a specified locality
- Explain the cultural treatment for a range of berry fruits, in specified situations
- Determine how to propagate a range of different berry plants
- Explain the harvesting of different berry crops
- Develop strategies for commercial success in a berry fruit enterprise
Detailed Course Outline
This course is made up a number of lessons or units. Each of these has self assessment questions, a set task (practical homework) and an assignment which you can upload online. Click below to read about each of the lessons and what you will learn.
There are 8 lessons in this course:
- Review of the system of plant identification
- Plant Families, Species, Cultivars, Varieties
- What is a Berry -Botanical Characteristics (Simple fruits, Compound Fruits)
- Information contacts (ie: nurseries, seed, clubs etc.)
Which Varieties to Grow
- Site Selection,
- How much land
- Site Characteristics
- Winter Chilling Requirements
- Biological Considerations
- Further Considerations affecting what to Grow
- Review of Significant Berries including
- Other Rubus species
Lesser Grown Varieties of Berry Plants
- Alpine Strawberry
- Cape Gooseberry
- Goji berry
- Hardy Kiwi Fruit
- Tree Tomato
- Production Plan for Berry Cropping
- Pest & disease
- Protection from wind, salt, air, etc.
- Methods of propagating berries
- Seed, Cuttings, Layering
- Aids to Propagation
- Hardening off Young Plants
- Propagation of selected varieties
Weed Control & Irrigation
- What is a Weed
- How Weeds Spread
- Preventative methods of Control
- Eliminating growing weeds
- Identifying Weeds
- Water Infiltration and Retention
- Improving water Infiltration
- Soil Moisture Classes
- Measuring Water Available to Plants
- When to Irrigate
- Irrigating Berry Crops
Harvesting & Marketing Berries
- When and How to Harvest
- Understanding Fruit Ripening
- Harvesting Techniques
- Post Harvest Treatments
Commercial Berry Growing
- Marketing Berries
- The Marketing Process
- Understanding Supply and Demand
- Cost, Quality and Quantity characteristics in a Crop
- Farm Layout for Better Management
When you have completed the lessons of your Certificate course, you will be given the option of taking the optional exam. It's okay if you don't want the exam, we still issue your Careerline Certificate. For Advanced Certificates however, the exam is compulsory (per module) and are included in the course fee.
Get Free Info Pack
Get your free info pack, just fill in the form below and we'll send it out.
Agriculture spans a wide variety of specializations. Who your tutor is will depend on which area of agriculture you are studying. Upon enrollment you will be assigned your own personal tutor who is there to support you throughout your studies.
How It Works
1. Learn Online
Get access to your course content anywhere, anytime and study at your own pace.
2. Get Help & Support
Connect with other like-minded students and get help from the teacher whenever you have a question.
3. Receive Certificate
Graduate from your course knowing that you have what it takes to reach your next step.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I pay in installments?
Yes! We offer great payment plans, however full payment up front is the cheapest. You can choose the best payment plan for you from the course page, or call us on 07 55368782 to talk to one of our course consultants for a custom plan.
Can I study from anywhere in the world?
We have many international students. Careerline's range of courses are suitable for any one, anywhere in the world.
Do I get a discount if I enroll in a second course?
Yes. You may claim a 5% fee discount when you enroll in a second course, and a further 10% off a three-course package.
Do I have to sit an Exam?
No. If you are enrolled in a Certificate course (100hrs), the exam is optional. You will be issued with a certificate which proves that you are competent in all units, if you choose not to sit the exam.
Do you have set start dates?
There are no set start dates, you may start at any time. Our courses are all self-paced. As our home page says, ‘Courses for Anyone, Anywhere, Anytime’. ‘Anytime’ includes the start time of your choice. However, we do encourage our students to submit assignments on a regular basis. Wherever possible, we suggest developing a study routine.