Orchids thrive naturally in very cold temperate climates through to tropical locations; and allows you to choose appropriate species and treat them according to location. It is feasible to grow orchids as cut flowers almost anywhere. Orchids are one of the most commercially viable cut flower crops (partially due to their beauty, and also due to their long shelf life). Learn how to produce orchid flowers for the cut flower trade.
- Explain the plant naming system, identify flower parts and compile resources
- Describe cultural techniques applicable to orchid growing
- Describe propagation techniques used for orchids
- Explain tissue culture propagation techniques
- Describe protected plant production facilities suited to orchids
- Explain the day to day management of a greenhouse
- Manage Pests and diseases on an orchid flower crop
- Explain management of an orchid enterprise and the harvest and post harvest of an orchid crop.
- Explain marketing techniques used for cut flower orchids
- Describe a major orchid group
Detailed Course Outline
This course is made up a number of lessons or units. Each of these has self assessment questions, a set task (practical homework) and an assignment which you can upload online. Click below to read about each of the lessons and what you will learn.
here are 10 Lessons in this course:
- Covers plant names
- Basic plant classification
- Information on plant flower structure
- Looks at soil cultivation
- Container growing
- Potting mixes
- Pruning orchids
- Propagation materials and equipment
- Miscellaneous propagation techniques
Propagation B. (Tissue Culture)
- Materials necessary for tissue culture
- Types of tissue culture
- Plant hormones
- Plant nutrients
Greenhouse Management A
- Greenhouses and other growing structures
- Environmental controls
- Benches and beds
- Effects of carbon dioxide
Greenhouse Management B
- Growing plants in greenhouses
- Plant needs
- Temperature control
- Greenhouse irrigation
Pest and Disease Control
- Horticultural Management in greenhouses
- Pests and diseases
Management, Harvest and Post Harvest
- Harvest and post-harvest
- Managing a market garden
- Crop scheduling
- Farm layout
- Nursery costs
- Marketing your produce
- Economically valuable orchids
- International flower markets
- An in depth study of a specific group of orchids.
When you have completed the lessons of your Certificate course, you will be given the option of taking the optional exam. It's okay if you don't want the exam, we still issue your Careerline Certificate. For Advanced Certificates however, the exam is compulsory (per module) and are included in the course fee.
Get Free Info Pack
Get your free info pack, just fill in the form below and we'll send it out.
Agriculture spans a wide variety of specializations. Who your tutor is will depend on which area of agriculture you are studying. Upon enrollment you will be assigned your own personal tutor who is there to support you throughout your studies.
How It Works
1. Learn Online
Get access to your course content anywhere, anytime and study at your own pace.
2. Get Help & Support
Connect with other like-minded students and get help from the teacher whenever you have a question.
3. Receive Certificate
Graduate from your course knowing that you have what it takes to reach your next step.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I pay in installments?
Yes! We offer great payment plans, however full payment up front is the cheapest. You can choose the best payment plan for you from the course page, or call us on 07 55368782 to talk to one of our course consultants for a custom plan.
Can I study from anywhere in the world?
We have many international students. Careerline's range of courses are suitable for any one, anywhere in the world.
Do I get a discount if I enroll in a second course?
Yes. You may claim a 5% fee discount when you enroll in a second course, and a further 10% off a three-course package.
Do I have to sit an Exam?
No. If you are enrolled in a Certificate course (100hrs), the exam is optional. You will be issued with a certificate which proves that you are competent in all units, if you choose not to sit the exam.
Do you have set start dates?
There are no set start dates, you may start at any time. Our courses are all self-paced. As our home page says, ‘Courses for Anyone, Anywhere, Anytime’. ‘Anytime’ includes the start time of your choice. However, we do encourage our students to submit assignments on a regular basis. Wherever possible, we suggest developing a study routine.