Learn how you can extend the growing season by expanding your cut flower range and supplying markets year-round. This is a diverse course for the serious grower.
Select your crop and use appropriate equipment and techniques to get a viable commercial outcome. Develop your ability to select and cultivate appropriate varieties of cut flowers in greenhouses.
- Describe the nature and scope of cut flower production in greenhouses
- Determine key cultural practices that are commonly required to develop and maintain a good rate of growth in a cut flower crop
- Explain the initiation and development of flowering in a cut flower crop
- Determine management practices for cut flower crops grown in a greenhouse
- Discuss a range of greenhouse management techniques related to cut flower production
- Explain a range of greenhouse management techniques related to cut flower production
- Determine a range of harvest and post-harvest techniques related to cut flower production
- Determine greenhouse production techniques for selected herbaceous perennials
- Determine greenhouse production techniques for selected annuals and biennials
- Determine greenhouse production techniques for selected bulbs, corms, rhizomes or tubers
- Determine greenhouse production techniques for selected filler plants
- Determine greenhouse production techniques for roses and orchids
Detailed Course Outline
This course is made up a number of lessons or units. Each of these has self assessment questions, a set task (practical homework) and an assignment which you can upload online. Click below to read about each of the lessons and what you will learn.
There are 12 Lessons in this course:
Introduction to Cut Flower Production
- Nature and scope of Cut Flower production
- Flower Characteristics
- What can you grow
- Flower (botanical) structure
- Soils for Flower Growing
- Soil pH, Cation Exchange Capacity, Conductivity
- Planting procedure
- Time of planting
- Flowering Plant Nutrition
- Environmental Protection
- Factors affecting growth
- Soil Testing
Flower Initiation and Development
- Getting plants to flower out of season
- Principles affecting rates and progress of flowering
- Case Studies -Narcissus, Azaleas
- Carbon Dioxide Enrichment
Pest & Disease Control
- Managing problems in a greenhouse
- Media Sterilisation
- Pest and Disease Control Measures
Greenhouse Management A
- Greenhouse types
- Fibreglass, glass, coreflute, film etc
- Cold Frames
- Shade Houses
- Misting Systems
- Benches and Beds
- Environmental Controls
Greenhouse Management B
- Optimum Growth for Different Plants
- Temperature control methods
- Heat Loss
- Greenhouse irrigation
Management, Harvest and Post Harvest
- General rules for harvesting flowers
- What flowers last longest
- Customer requirements
- Post harvest handling
- Post harvest treatments
- Managing a market garden
- Crop scheduling
- Production costs and profit
- Farm layout
- Judging Flowers
Annuals & Biennials
Bulbs, Corms, Tubers & Rhizomes
- What is a filler
Miscellaneous Greenhouse Cut Flowers
When you have completed the lessons of your Certificate course, you will be given the option of taking the optional exam. It's okay if you don't want the exam, we still issue your Careerline Certificate. For Advanced Certificates however, the exam is compulsory (per module) and are included in the course fee.
Get Free Info Pack
Get your free info pack, just fill in the form below and we'll send it out.
Agriculture spans a wide variety of specializations. Who your tutor is will depend on which area of agriculture you are studying. Upon enrollment you will be assigned your own personal tutor who is there to support you throughout your studies.
How It Works
1. Learn Online
Get access to your course content anywhere, anytime and study at your own pace.
2. Get Help & Support
Connect with other like-minded students and get help from the teacher whenever you have a question.
3. Receive Certificate
Graduate from your course knowing that you have what it takes to reach your next step.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I pay in installments?
Yes! We offer great payment plans, however full payment up front is the cheapest. You can choose the best payment plan for you from the course page, or call us on 07 55368782 to talk to one of our course consultants for a custom plan.
Can I study from anywhere in the world?
We have many international students. Careerline's range of courses are suitable for any one, anywhere in the world.
Do I get a discount if I enroll in a second course?
Yes. You may claim a 5% fee discount when you enroll in a second course, and a further 10% off a three-course package.
Do I have to sit an Exam?
No. If you are enrolled in a Certificate course (100hrs), the exam is optional. You will be issued with a certificate which proves that you are competent in all units, if you choose not to sit the exam.
Do you have set start dates?
There are no set start dates, you may start at any time. Our courses are all self-paced. As our home page says, ‘Courses for Anyone, Anywhere, Anytime’. ‘Anytime’ includes the start time of your choice. However, we do encourage our students to submit assignments on a regular basis. Wherever possible, we suggest developing a study routine.