For most people, a nut is a type of food and a delightful food at that! Strictly speaking, not all nuts are edible; but this course is only concerned with edible nuts and in particular, the ones that are grown more extensively around the world in warm climates.
The tropical nut trees are dependent on your locality and conditions can vary quite considerably even in tropical areas, for example certain tropical areas may experience frosts. However there are so many varieites worth trying that it is worth learning about them all!
There are eight lessons including a special project in this course. This course is designed as a detailed look at identification and culture of nuts in warmer climates. Emphasis is placed on the species that are of horticultural value.
- Learn about the classification of nuts
- Learn to access sources of organisations specific to nut production
- Learn about the cultural requirements of tropical nuts, as most of the varieties we look at are for the tropics or warm climates.
- Discover the characterisitics of soils. Understand plant nutrition, plant health, watering techniques,environmental protection for your crops, pest and disease management
- Learn techniques for pruning and maintenance
- Learn how to successfully propagate nut trees; propagtion from nut seeds and cuttings grafting, layering,establishing rootstocks.
- Macadamia nut trees are looked at in detail
- Peacan nut trees are looked at in detail.
- Other varieities of nuts such as Pistachio, Cashew Almond, Brazil and other varieties you never knew exsisted, are looked at
- Establishment and horticultural management of tropical nut trees is looked at. Learn about site selection for successful cultivation, planting techniques and factors affecting the selection of a site.
- Then when you have all these factors taken into consideration, the harvesting and storage of nuts is reviewed.
Detailed Course Outline
This course is made up a number of lessons or units. Each of these has self assessment questions, a set task (practical homework) and an assignment which you can upload online. Click below to read about each of the lessons and what you will learn.
There are 8 Lessons in this course:
- What is a Nut
- Review of the system of plant identification
- Main family groups of nuts
- Family Juglandaceae
- Family Corylaceae
- Family Characteristics
- Family Fagaceae
- Family Proteaceae
- Family Burseraceae
- Family Lecthidaceae
- Family Sterculiaceae
- Family Anacardiaceae
- Family Rosaceae
- Family Leguminosae
- Family Asteraceae
- Family Cucurbitaceae
- Family Palmaceae
- Family Pinaceae
- Information contacts (i.e. nurseries, seed, clubs etc.)
- Potential for Nut Growing
Nut Plant Culture
- Soil and Nutrition Management
- Planting,water management, plant health, pruning, etc.
Propagation of Nut Plants
- Propagating Media
- Hardening off Young plants
- Budding and grafting
- Magadamia growing in Australia & elsewhere
- Macadamia recipes
- Nutritional components of the nut
Other Varieties which Grow in Warm Climates
- Baobab (Andersonia)
- Brazil Nut
- Sesame Seed
- Others are reviewd briefly, including: Pili Nut, Acacia, Hausa Ground Nut etc
Selecting a site and planting a plot
- Site Selection and management
- Site characteristics
- Biological characteristics
- Other factors
- Using weedicides with nut plantings
Growing, harvesting and using nuts
- Harvest and storage of nuts
- Sorting, Cleaning, Drying
- Uses for nuts -food, crafts, timber etc
When you have completed the lessons of your Certificate course, you will be given the option of taking the optional exam. It's okay if you don't want the exam, we still issue your Careerline Certificate. For Advanced Certificates however, the exam is compulsory (per module) and are included in the course fee.
Get Free Info Pack
Get your free info pack, just fill in the form below and we'll send it out.
Agriculture spans a wide variety of specializations. Who your tutor is will depend on which area of agriculture you are studying. Upon enrollment you will be assigned your own personal tutor who is there to support you throughout your studies.
How It Works
1. Learn Online
Get access to your course content anywhere, anytime and study at your own pace.
2. Get Help & Support
Connect with other like-minded students and get help from the teacher whenever you have a question.
3. Receive Certificate
Graduate from your course knowing that you have what it takes to reach your next step.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I pay in installments?
Yes! We offer great payment plans, however full payment up front is the cheapest. You can choose the best payment plan for you from the course page, or call us on 07 55368782 to talk to one of our course consultants for a custom plan.
Can I study from anywhere in the world?
We have many international students. Careerline's range of courses are suitable for any one, anywhere in the world.
Do I get a discount if I enroll in a second course?
Yes. You may claim a 5% fee discount when you enroll in a second course, and a further 10% off a three-course package.
Do I have to sit an Exam?
No. If you are enrolled in a Certificate course (100hrs), the exam is optional. You will be issued with a certificate which proves that you are competent in all units, if you choose not to sit the exam.
Do you have set start dates?
There are no set start dates, you may start at any time. Our courses are all self-paced. As our home page says, ‘Courses for Anyone, Anywhere, Anytime’. ‘Anytime’ includes the start time of your choice. However, we do encourage our students to submit assignments on a regular basis. Wherever possible, we suggest developing a study routine.