Learn about warm climate fruit production. Study in your own time and at your own pace. Work with highly experienced and qualified tutors. A similar course to temperate climate fruit production, but adapted to cover tropical and sub-tropical conditions. The course includes sections on Avocados, Pineapples, Macadamias, Papaya [paw paw] and Cashews.
There are many hundreds of different species of edible fruits that can be grown in warm climates. This course aims to introduce you to a wide selection of these while also focusing in depth on some of the more well known warm climate fruit crops and their cultivation. Students will also learn about establishing an orchard.
- Identify different types of fruit crops, which can be successfully grown in a specific region.
- Explain the nature of the fruit industry in a specific region.
- Determine the cultural requirements for different fruit crops.
- Develop a plan for the establishment of an orchard.
- Formulate appropriate methods for marketing specific fruit crops grown in your locality.
- Develop a calendar for cultural management of a fruit plantation, or orchard.
Detailed Course Outline
This course is made up a number of lessons or units. Each of these has self assessment questions, a set task (practical homework) and an assignment which you can upload online. Click below to read about each of the lessons and what you will learn.
There are 8 Lessons in this course:
Introduction To Warm Climate Fruit Growing
- Deciding what to grow
- Where to get helpful informationm and start networking
- Scope of Warm Fruit Growing -Review of main groups: Citrus, Berries, Nuts, Vines, Other fruits.
- Understanding plant naming
- Review of tropical fruit families:Anacardiaceae, Annonaceae, Apocynaceae, Bombaceae, Bursaraceae, Ebenaceae, Euphorbiaceae, Fabaceae, Flacourtiaceae, Guttiferae, Lauraceae, Lecythidaceae, Malpighiaceae, Meliaceae, Moraceae, Musaceae, Myrtaceae, Oxalidaceae, Palmae, Pasifloraceae, Proteaceae, Rhamnaceae,Rubiaceae,Rutaceae, Sapindaceae.
- The botany of a fruit
- Types of Fruits
Establishing An Orchard
- Develop a plan for the establishment of an orchard
- Site considerations -choosing a site
- Understanding Soils and Nutrition
- Soil Testing
- Several warm climate fruits are then reviewed including: Avocado Banana, Citrus, Cocao, Coffee, Macadamia and Paw Paw
General Cultural Practices
- Fertilsers and Nutrition
- Pest and Disease -determining and managing problems
- What problems occur on what fruit plants
- Weed control
- Frost and sun protection
- Star Fruit (Carambola)
- Custard Apple
- White Sapote
- Paw Paw
Nuts, Vines and Berries
- Lilly Pilly
- Brazil Nut
Citrus and other Fruits
- Suitability to different climates.
- Sweet Orange
- Meyer Lemon and other Lemons
- Pomegranate, Persimmon, Quandong etc
Cultural Management Of A Fruit Plantation or Orchard
- Flow charting a crop
Marketing Your Produce
- Considering marketing options
- Market Research
- Maintaining marketing standards and selling
When you have completed the lessons of your Certificate course, you will be given the option of taking the optional exam. It's okay if you don't want the exam, we still issue your Careerline Certificate. For Advanced Certificates however, the exam is compulsory (per module) and are included in the course fee.
Get Free Info Pack
Get your free info pack, just fill in the form below and we'll send it out.
Agriculture spans a wide variety of specializations. Who your tutor is will depend on which area of agriculture you are studying. Upon enrollment you will be assigned your own personal tutor who is there to support you throughout your studies.
How It Works
1. Learn Online
Get access to your course content anywhere, anytime and study at your own pace.
2. Get Help & Support
Connect with other like-minded students and get help from the teacher whenever you have a question.
3. Receive Certificate
Graduate from your course knowing that you have what it takes to reach your next step.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I pay in installments?
Yes! We offer great payment plans, however full payment up front is the cheapest. You can choose the best payment plan for you from the course page, or call us on 07 55368782 to talk to one of our course consultants for a custom plan.
Can I study from anywhere in the world?
We have many international students. Careerline's range of courses are suitable for any one, anywhere in the world.
Do I get a discount if I enroll in a second course?
Yes. You may claim a 5% fee discount when you enroll in a second course, and a further 10% off a three-course package.
Do I have to sit an Exam?
No. If you are enrolled in a Certificate course (100hrs), the exam is optional. You will be issued with a certificate which proves that you are competent in all units, if you choose not to sit the exam.
Do you have set start dates?
There are no set start dates, you may start at any time. Our courses are all self-paced. As our home page says, ‘Courses for Anyone, Anywhere, Anytime’. ‘Anytime’ includes the start time of your choice. However, we do encourage our students to submit assignments on a regular basis. Wherever possible, we suggest developing a study routine.