Project management is the activity of organising, planning and managing resources to achieve a specific goal within recognised constraints. It is a very valuable skill for employees as it is one of the few cross-industry skills, being as relevant to construction or software development as it is to environmental projects and more.
Careerline’s project management course is best suited to someone who has some prior experience or training in management, or is very useful as an adjunct to management or other professional studies.
What you will do in this project management course
- Explain what project management is, and what its applications might be.
- Identify and define projects which need management.
- Plan a project.
- Implement a project.
- Evaluate a project following completion.
- Describe technical skills required to manage projects.
- Demonstrate project leadership skills.
- Identify and solve common project problems.
- Consolidate all of the skills and information from throughout the past 8 lessons, and manage a project effectively.
Get Free Info Pack
Get your free info pack by completing the form below.
Detailed Course Outline
This course is made up of a number of modules. Each of these has self assessment questions, a set task (practical homework) and an assignment which you can upload online. Select each module below to learn more.
There are 9 lessons in this course:
Introduction to Project Management
- Scope and Value of Project Management
- Understanding what project management is
- The Need for Project Management
- The Project Life cycle
- Project Identification and Initiating Process
- Project Planning
- Project Implementation, Execution, and Control
- Project Completion and Evaluation
- Scope and Nature
- Formulating Project Objectives
- Developing a Project Outline
- Assessing a Projects Feasibility
- Feasibility Checklist
- The Identification Test
- Three Types of Risk
- Planning Hierarchy
- Planning Parameters
- Planning Quality
- Developing a Strategy Framework
- Project Breakdown Structure
- Planning Time
- The Gantt Chart
- PERT Charts
- Planning Expense
- Delegating Responsibilities
Implementing a Project
- Controlling Process
- Applying Standards
- Events Control Chart
- Budget Control Chart
- Monitoring Performance
- Evaluating Performance
- Regulating Process
Completion and Evaluation of a Project
- Why is a Closing Phase Necessary
- Declaring Imminent Completion
- Reassignment of Resources
- Considering Project Sustainability
- Project Assessment; Final Report, Performance Reviews
- Appraising the Project
- Why Projects Succeed or Fail
Developing Technical Project Management Skills
- Preparing a Project Proposal
- Proposal Layout
- Drawing Up a Budget
- Constructing a Post Project Appraisal
- Software for Projects; How Project Management Software Works, choosing software
- What Project Management Software Cannot Do
Understanding Leadership Skills
- Scope and Nature of Leadership
- How to Be A Project Leader
- Visibility & Communications
- Leadership Characteristics
- Leadership Skills
- Improving Leadership Skills
- Giving Directives and Introducing Change
Improving Critical Personnel Skills
- Inevitability of Problems
- Common Problems
- Schedule variations
- Changing priorities
- Administration overload
- Deadline Changes
- Cash blow out
- Inappropriate skills
- Role Confusion
- Exhausted Team
- Reduced Motivation
- Communication Breakdown
- Development of full documentation for projects
When you have completed the lessons of your Certificate course, you will be given the option of taking the optional exam. It's okay if you don't want the exam, we still issue your Careerline Certificate. For Advanced Certificates however, the exam is compulsory (per module) and are included in the course fee.
Thea Roberts B.Comm., M.A.
Liselle Turner Bachelor of Business (Marketing), Diploma in Hospitality Management, Certificate IV in Training and Assessment
Chad Osorio B. Psych. Juris Doctor
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I pay in installments?
Yes! We offer great payment plans, however full payment up front is the cheapest. You can choose the best payment plan for you from the course page, or call us on 07 55368782 to talk to one of our course consultants for a custom plan.
Can I study from anywhere in the world?
We have many international students. Careerline's range of courses are suitable for any one, anywhere in the world.
Do I get a discount if I enroll in a second course?
Yes. You may claim a 5% fee discount when you enroll in a second course, and a further 10% off a three-course package.
Do I have to sit an Exam?
No. If you are enrolled in a Certificate course (100hrs), the exam is optional. You will be issued with a certificate which proves that you are competent in all units, if you choose not to sit the exam.
Do you have set start dates?
There are no set start dates, you may start at any time. Our courses are all self-paced. As our home page says, ‘Courses for Anyone, Anywhere, Anytime’. ‘Anytime’ includes the start time of your choice. However, we do encourage our students to submit assignments on a regular basis. Wherever possible, we suggest developing a study routine.