Fiction is writing that encompasses imaginary yet believable characters, events, and environments, but can also include real places and events. A good fiction writer can skillfully weave fantasy and reality, or create a world that is wholly imagined yet feels real. If you want to write fiction, this is the course for you.
Always dreamed of writing a novel or short stories – this could be the course for you.Learn to write fiction from our highly experienced tutors. Study in your own time and at your own pace. Develop your creativity with this Fiction Writing course and learn from published authors.
- Describe the nature and scope of fiction writing.
- Determine the components of a fiction story, as the first step in planning a story.
- Determine a systematic approach to building a fiction story.
- Develop your capacity to conceive fiction stories.
- Develop your ability to write dramatic stories.
- Develop your ability to write fantasy
- Develop your ability to write short stories
- Develop your ability to plan for success in the writing of a novel.
Detailed Course Outline
Each course is made up of a number of lessons or units. Each of these has self assessment questions, a set task (practical homework) and an assignment which you can upload online.
There are 8 lessons in this course:
Scope and Nature of Fiction
- Types of Fiction (Category/genre and Mainstream)
- Characteristics of Category Fiction (strong plot, hero/heroine, motivation. Action, background/setting)
- Characteristics of Mainstream Fiction (Strong plot, Action or intrigue, hero, heroine, romance, happy ending)
- Book, play or short story
- Categories (Fantasy, fairy tale, fable, myth, legend, science fiction, western, drama, romance, comedy, horror, crime, suspense, erotica)
- Getting an Idea (using a fragment, philosophical approach, develop from a title or opening sentence)
- Back story
- Types of writing
- Theme development
- Write an Analogy
- Writing a Balanced Theme
- Are You Suited to Writing Fiction ; Imagination, Being Informed, Human Behaviour
- Importance of Focus
Components of a Story
- Story Components
- Story Structure
- Developing your own Style
- Aspects of Style.
- Case Study
- Conception (Characters, Settings, Events)
- Write a Synopsis
- Developing a Story
- Examples of Plot Structure
- Method Writing (Developing characters, changing characters, Appropriateness of characters, Revealing characters through crisis, names, stereotypes, creating dynamic characters)
- Writing a Draft
- Editing and Rewriting.
Conception and Research
- Conceiving a Story
- Parts of Conception
- Making conception original
- Types of research (Primary and secondary data)
- Planning a formal survey
- Writing a Dramatic Story
- Common mistakes
- Time Shifting
- Transition between events
- Dramatic conflict
- Point of View.
- Representing Characters Speech
- Science Fiction
- Methods to develop Sci Fi
- Fairy Tales.
The Short Story
- Characteristics of Short Stories.
- Length in terms of: the time frame; the number of characters; the number of events; the number of settings
- Common Problems with Short story Writers
- Planning a Novel
- Making a story Endure (Archetypes, etc)
- Getting Started
- Submitting a Manuscript.
- Which Publisher
When you have completed the lessons of your Certificate course, you will be given the option of taking the optional exam. It's okay if you don't want the exam, we still issue your Careerline Certificate. For Advanced Certificates however, the exam is compulsory (per module) and are included in the course fee.
Get Free Info Pack
Get your free info pack by completing the form below.
How It Works
1. Learn Online
Get access to your course content anywhere, anytime and study at your own pace.
2. Get Help & Support
Connect with other like-minded students and get help from the teacher whenever you have a question.
3. Receive Certificate
Graduate from your course knowing that you have what it takes to reach your next step.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I pay in installments?
Yes! We offer great payment plans, however full payment up front is the cheapest. You can choose the best payment plan for you from the course page, or call us on 07 55368782 to talk to one of our course consultants for a custom plan.
Can I study from anywhere in the world?
We have many international students. Careerline's range of courses are suitable for any one, anywhere in the world.
Do I get a discount if I enroll in a second course?
Yes. You may claim a 5% fee discount when you enroll in a second course, and a further 10% off a three-course package.
Do I have to sit an Exam?
No. If you are enrolled in a Certificate course (100hrs), the exam is optional. You will be issued with a certificate which proves that you are competent in all units, if you choose not to sit the exam.
Do you have set start dates?
There are no set start dates, you may start at any time. Our courses are all self-paced. As our home page says, ‘Courses for Anyone, Anywhere, Anytime’. ‘Anytime’ includes the start time of your choice. However, we do encourage our students to submit assignments on a regular basis. Wherever possible, we suggest developing a study routine.